The mill complex originally consisted of six buildings, including two weaving sheds, two engine houses and a boiler house, with a 50 metre high chimney. The mill building itself is five storeys high.
It was built in 1836 to 39 by the Norwich Yarn Company, which had been established three years earlier in a bid to prevent the collapse of the textile trade in the town. During its life it has had a number of owners and tenants, including Caley's chocolate manufacturers.
From 1918 it was used to teach new skills to servicemen injured in the First World War. Classes included carpentry, bricklaying, tailoring and watch repair. It is currently home to Jarrold's printers and houses offices and the John Jarrold print museum.